Blackpink are a South Korean girl group formed by YG Entertainment, consisting of members Jisoo, Jennie, Rosé, and Lisa. They debuted in August 2016 with their single album Square One, Which spawned “Whistle” and “Boombayah“.
BlackPink initially gained massive amounts of popularity right after debut (and even before) for one reason:
- They are under YG Entertainment.
- YG Entertainment houses Big Bang, one of the most successful and loved male idol groups, iKon and Winner, who are two popular (though not quite as successful) idol groups, and was once the company that managed girl group 2ne1 (who has disbanded).
- It is not uncommon to find in Kpop that fans of a certain entertainment company will automatically support (if not love) new groups, soloists and artists from that company. That, and, as YG is one of the richest and well-known entertainment company in South Korea, BlackPink has so much more exposure to fans of Kpop than a new group would in a fairly non-existent company.
- Their concept and music is nothing groundbreaking or extremely new (although clearly not common) in the Kpop industry.
- They are four physically attractive girls with various, fun, engaging personalities who (appear to, at least) love their fans dearly.